Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Robert vs. Shiprock

Ya'at'eeh!
 
From Shiprock, NM!!!! So we email at Dine College and they have a 1 hour time limit and then the computer shuts off at 0, its dumb. So my letters will probably be significantly shorter for awhile. My new companion is Elder Cody Bunderson from Preston!!! He is awesome! He is a professional horse shoer and he dates a rodeo queen.  Lucky guy. He is about 145 lbs and 5'6 but he is a 2 time state wrestler so I haven't tested him out yet.  Anyway we are doing great and having the funnest time on my mission so far.  I am in the Navajo reservation and holy cow.....ya aint seen a white person in awhile, I've already gotten used to it.  We went tracting the other day and a man came and talked to us for 2 hours telling us a Navajo creation story.  It was really cool!!  It's very intersesting to see that the "traditional" beliefs are so similar to our beliefs.  Its been over 100 degrees twice this last week and its only gonna get worse.  There hasn't been rain here in over 2 years or something like that.  It's a dust bowl, everyday I see big dust tornadoes.  I got to eat some mutton stew and have had lots of fry bread.  My Navajo has grown a lot in just a week. basically I just know a bunch of random words still but am starting to put together some phrases.  I am having a blast out here with most of the people even though they don't want anything to do with us, they know who we are and respect us.  I have dealt with lots of drunk people and angry dogs that chase me.  I see new dead dogs every day, they are everywhere!!! and a lot of them are not afraid of us and they will run right at us.  But don't worry I carry my big knife I got and so far I just have to act like I'm pickin up a rock or run back at them and they back off. Its fun!!!! well my time has almost run out! got to go!
 
ha'gone'!
love Elder Christensen

No comments:

Post a Comment