Monday, January 20, 2014

Robert vs. Broken Glasses

Loloma!!! 
 
"We send our little Indian boys and girls to school, and they come back talking english, they come back swearing.  There is no swear word in the Indian languages, and I haven't yet learned to swear." - Zitkala-sa  (yanktan sioux)

Well needless to say it has been a hectic week.  Oh where to start....Well first off, the mission did a revision of mileage allotments to each area and apparently we are now at 1800 per month.  Which is nothing.  We use 1100 miles just to go to district meeting every thursday, and this revision took place last week and we are already at 1600 as of LAST Thursday...which is the night that we decided to play some basketball with some members and other kids and I was going up for a rebound and SMACK! I got punched in the face by my own teammate!!  My right lens broke off and the string attachment thingy connected to the last snapped as well so they are shot.  I was decked out in my BSU shirt and shorts though so despite the blood I hopped back in because I had to represent.  I called sister Batt that night and she told us to just hang tight because I couldn't drive anymore and Elder Yazzie cant either.  We walked to our nearest village one day and that was an experience.  It took about an hour and....one thing about reservations for sure, it doesn't matter what time of day it is...there are ALWAYS drunk people on the road. Its a given fact.  Don't think we will be walking anytime soon, the "sidewalk" of dirt is inches away from the road so no bueno.  Plus when we were in Polacca walking around for some reason the Rez dog population increased by 100 over night because they were EVERYWHERE!!!  I was messing around with one of them and we turned the corner and there was about 8 big ones just sitting right there staring at me....i about had an accident.  Luckily they are nice dogs or else we would have been back to back fighting off dogs again just like the good old Shiprock days.  Other then that adventure we had a wonderful baptism service on Saturday morning for sister Lynette Poleviyaoma and yes she is the one that drew that painting I sent home.  Did you get my Bow yet by the way?  First off saturday morning about 8am we get a knock on the door, i open it up and the young men and elders quorum of 2 guys were loaded up in their cars ready to go chop some wood, and they were trying to drag us along.  I said we got a baptism at 11 we gotta fill up the font!!!  They all yelled back at me and grabbed our axes and threw them into their truck....so we got dragged out there and they promised that they would get us back at 10:15.  Fine.  Elder Kamka filled the font.  When it was about 10 I told Bro. Crowfoot we had to go and we loaded up and for some reason he decided to go on some back road.  He said don't worry Blackfoots never get lost....well we got lost and ended up getting to the church right at 11.  They delayed the baptism until we got there so that was nice of them.  

Sunday morning was a rough start for sure.  We walked out the trailer door and right when I closed it I realized that I left the keys inside...but it was locked....the truck was locked also...and the church was locked.  It was 8am and and about 15 degrees.  We were stranded out in whatever the wind wanted to throw at us for about 40 minutes until President Funk came over and let us in the church.  Our senior couple has another key to our trailer but Elder Kamka is on the high council so they left early to tuba city to speak.  Rough morning.  But we got lynette confirmed and then right after church the kamkas got back and so we didn't have to live in the church for the day thankfully.  Chris wasn't able to come this week so next week we are gonna help him bless the sacrament.  

Just got back from Holbrook.  Got my new glasses ordered as well and my old ones fixed.  They really fixed them up they were destroyed and they didn't charge for it even though they put all sorts of new fancy stuff on it.  Every person in the office was LDS already except the receptionist but she seemed to know everything about LDS people and she even knew where our mission HQ was and everything.  You never know who is watching....Well no too much happened this week but it sure was stressful.  I need a hot tub bad....and a baseball game.  Oh ya by the way, GO SEAHAWKS!  For some reason Peyton Manning reminds me alot of Derek Jeter so even though they are pretty respectable guys just because I have never liked the Broncos or the yankees....Im going for the hawks.  Anyways I'm looking forward to a good week here.  Only got about 50 more sundays!!  that seems sooo short...I'm sure it will go by super fast.  

Ha'go'nee!!!
Love Elder Christensen 



No comments:

Post a Comment