Monday, January 13, 2014

Robert vs. The Kachina Dance


a couple more shots of Hunter



Ya'aat'eeh!!! 
 
"Look at me- I am poor and naked, but I am the chief of the nation.  We do not want riches, but we do want to train our children right.  Riches would do us no good.  We could not take them with us to the other world.  We do not want riches.  We want peace and love."  - Red Cloud (Sioux)      

Now thinking of that movie I am obligated to say the Irish jokes.  " a frenchman, a german, and an irishman sit down at a bar and each have a pint of ale, there is a fly in each ale....the frenchman says mondieur!!!  I can't drink this....so he leaves.  The german flicks the fly out and drinks the ale.  The Irishman grabs the fly turns it upside down and yells SPIT IT OUT!!! SPIT IT OUT!!!   -God invented whiskey to stop the Irish from taking over the world.  I love that movie, so funny.  

This week was a good one for missionary work on Hopiland.  We had dinner with some members last night and the Brother is the Chief Prosecutor for the entire reservation.  He worked for Navajo as well and other tribes when he lived in Oklahoma.  They are a Bahana family but they seem to be accepted by the Hopi here.  I could listen to that guy talk for hours, he has lots of wisdom.  He and his wife actually were "tracted" into by missionaries in Oklahoma about 30 years ago and thats how they joined the church.  One of the few that are a success when it comes to knocking on doors but hey it works. Can't remember where I was going with this...oh well. 

But ya church was awesome yesterday!  Elder Yazzie has a problem with talking in front of big groups of people.  I have noticed so I don't know if I'm a jerk or I'm being a good teacher here, but Sunday Morning I just said Elder Yazzie your teaching Gospel Principles. I usually always teach and I felt that Chris would want to be in the adult Sunday school class for the 1st time...and yep thats exactly what happened.  So I stayed with Chris and Handed Elder Yazzie the book and said have fun!  Refiners fire baby.  When I asked him how it went he gave the thumbs up sign and then waved around all directions.  Good, he's learning.  But an interesting experience this week...We got a call from Chris one night and he invited us to a Kachina dance which is extremely rare because they usually only do that in February.  I said yes without really thinking because of how cool an experience that would be and very few people in the world get to actually see one that aren't Hopi.  But right when he asked, I had a voice pop into my head and say "its a trick."  Not from Chris but from the guy down below.  After we hung up I started thinking about it and then Gerald called thanking me for the scriptures. ( I hid them underneath some papers on his table to see how long it would take for him to find them)  Anyways I told him we got invited to a Kachina dance and he said not to go because thats worshiping false idols.  After thinking about it, its true.  So then I knew we had to call Chris the next day and say we couldn't go cause of that and if people saw us and then the next day we knock on their door....ya that would be weird.  Come the next day I said a little prayer before I called Chris hoping he would understand and wouldn't be offended.  He was only being nice and wanting to share his culture with us.  I called him and said I don't think we should go and then he said Thank you!  After we hung up the night before he got this feeling like...he shouldn't have asked us and he shouldn't go anyways.  He prayed about it and then felt like we would call the next morning.  He was waiting for us to call.  Good stuff!  So instead of going to the dances, we had nothing planned at all so we went on a hike lesson with Chris.  We talked about him receiving the Aaronic priesthood on sunday and then about him getting his patriarchal blessing.  He was real excited and after explaining a bit about some of the different gifts of the spirit he thinks he is Manasseh because He has lots of crazy dreams that tell him stuff.  We will find out.  There was a Zuni man that got his and it said he was a direct descendant of Joseph the Brother of Nephi.  Interesting eh?  But ya we hiked all over this mini mesa and just talked about scriptures and stuff.  Almost stepped into some ancient natural well that was used a looooong time ago, there was still water in it.  We actually have to watch for Rattlesnakes around here cause they get pretty common to see come a few weeks when it gets warm apparently.  

The sister thats on date for baptism this weekend is looking good and ready.  Her interview is on wednesday but I don't have any worries.  After all...if a person fails an interview...its our fault not theirs that we didn't teach them correctly.  I think we did good. We also passed the Aaronic priesthood to Chris and that was awesome.  He is a Priest now and Hopefully bless the sacrament next week.  Good stuff!!!  Other then that we are teaching a few people that I am excited about and am sure will be baptized within 6 months or so.  I want to spend at least 9 months out here.  The Hopi are very accepting of Elder Yazzie being Navajo.  Its pretty awesome having a native companion.  People seem a lot more comfortable then with 2 white dudes.  Yes i am of course Monopoly King the record is 8-2.  Surprisingly we have only needed to trade a couple of times and I try to be fair.  He is catching on though about how to annihilate someone so I have to "fudge" a little bit on my tactics....not cheat...just "fudge a bit" to hide my plans.  anyways thats all for this week in Hopi!  And yes I got your package! thank you!!! 

Love Elder Christensen 



No comments:

Post a Comment