Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Robert vs. Sacred Ceremonies



Thats the sign you see when you hit the Hopi Rez. and here was my last companion Elder Yazzie from Moreland, Idaho




We shovel lots of horse poo.....it's da best.  and I see something similar to that sunset every night!!! pretty sweeet.



That is Chris and his 1st place prize for the chilli cook off...I had 5 bowls of it.  That is my comp and Brother Linarte from Nicaragua...he feeds at his house allll the time.


This is to top it all off....men at work....a white dude, a black/Tongan guy trying to convince a bunch of Hopis and Navajos that we have their original traditions....Bring it on


Loloma!!!

   
Alright well this week has been a lot of fun and pretty stressful.  Elder Johnson and I are brothers from other mothers.  He is the black/Tongan version of me, I love it.  Well, to make a long story short the people that we have been helping to stop drinking  are pretty committed to be baptized but they don't want to set a date yet.  Thats how it works out here for some reason...if you try and use the Preach My Gospel technique of asking people to be baptized people just look at you weird and then say no.  Its happened quite a few times.  But you just have to let them basically set the date for themselves its really annoying but hey, its how it works out here.  We met this white guy less active member who just works at the police department for a few months and then goes back to Reno, Nevada.  We played some basketball and then the next day we went to go and try to find him....(Its not stalking if your a missionary).  Well we found his car but couldn't tell what door it was.  We knocked on a few and was just about to turn back and then we heard this huge burst of laughter from inside another door.  Elder Johnson and I think a lot like so we both said at the same time " that sounds like him"  and there he was!!  I personally believe that it is NOT coincidence that he laughed at that exact moment.  We had a good talk and he fed us some of this habenero/jalepeno beef stew....ah dang that tore me up, that was sooooo hot...but I still ate all of it and loved it.  Basically we addressed his background and he said that he just wants to be a mormon inside his heart and that he doesn't need to come to church..BUT!! He wants to get back into the routine of church back in his hometown so his son can "make a decision about which path to follow."  Kinda hypocritical....he's also a psychology major so being an intellectual doesn't always mean that you are that smart....when the Gospel is very simple and easy to understand...it doesn't need to be complicated at all...but ya hopefully he swings around sometime and realizes that if you just come to church then everything else will make sense.

The Hopi are doing some very important sacred ceremonies for the next few weeks so we are going to have a lot of time on our hands.  I'm glad that I have someone out here with me I can talk to so I don't go insane.  But ya there really wasn't much to report on this week...because of the dances there was about 30 people at church this week...it kinda shows who is truly converted to the church and who is not.  We got a lot of work to do here.....I can't wait for the second coming...just hurry it up!!! haha but ya that's about it!  GO BRONCOS


My address is 
P.O. Box 832
Polacca, Az 86042      

The mail service doesn't forward mail anymore so everything has to be sent directly.

Love Elder Christensen  

No comments:

Post a Comment